SS Rajamouli on Baahubali 2 ban in Karnataka: Filmmaker shares emotional videoRajamouli also pointed out that many of Sathyaraj's films have been released since then, including the 2015 film Baahubali.
The release of the much-anticipated Baahubali 2, which has been directed by SS Rajamouli is expected to face problem in Karnataka. Actor Sathyaraj, who plays Katappa in the film had allegedly made a controversial speech, which had anti-Kannada statements, during the Cauvery row some time back hasn’t gone down well with many.
The protesters including Kannada Rakshana Vedike had declared on Wednesday that they’d stall the Bahubali press meet scheduled for today. It has also been reported that they will also hold a rally against the film’s much-awaited release.
SS Rajamouli in a new video statement said, “Whatever Sathyaraj has said has no relation with the movie or its crew. The comments were made by Sathyaraj 9 years ago. Since then many of his movies have released, even Baahubali . I request all to support Baahubali 2 the way they did for part one. We have informed Sathyaraj about the situation. We have nothing to do with his comments.”
He said the team was unaware of the actor's remarks till it saw a video on a social media site. Rajamouli also pointed out that many of Sathyaraj's films have been released since then, including the 2015 film "Baahubali".
"The way you accepted and appreciated 'Baahubali Part I', I request you to do the same for 'Part II'... Sathyaraj is neither the director nor the producer of this movie. He is one of many artists associated with this film.
"If you stall the release of the film, it may not affect him (Sathyaraj) that much. But it is not right to show your anger on this film for the comments made by him," he said.
The director said Sathyaraj has been "updated about the situation" but beyond that the team could not do much.
"I request you not to involve us in this matter as it nowhere connected to us," he said.
The film's producer, Shobu Yarlagadda, also expressed hope that the issue would be resolved amicably.
"This is a very sensitive issue, and I don't want to comment much on it. The only thing I want to say is - we will resolve the issue amicably in the interest of all concerned," he had said.
Many pro-Kannada organisations have threatened to launch a stir against the film's release across Karnataka. They have demanded an apology from Sathyaraj for the reported remarks on the water dispute.
Vatal Nagaraj, president of the Kannada Chalavali Vatal Paksha, a regional pro-Kannada political party, has said that the group will not allow the movie to be released because of Sathyaraj's comments.
When asked why Sathyaraj's previous films were allowed to be screened in the state, he said they were waiting for the "right" time.
"Other films of Sathyaraj which were released earlier here weren't worthy and noticeable. However, Baahubali is recognised both nationally and internationally. We were waiting for the right time." "Baahubali: The Conclusion", also starring Prabhas, Rana Daggubati, Tamannaah and Anushka Shetty, is slated to be released on April 28 worldwide.
(With PTI Inputs)