Happy Birthday Chiranjeevi: 5 lesser known facts about the Lord Hanuman devotee
Tollywood megastar Chiranjeevi needs no introduction if you are a fan of the southern cinema. In his charismatic career spanning nearly four decades in the world of Indian cinema, Chiranjeevi has established himself as synonyms to success.
His powerful dialog delivery, spot-on expressions and incredible dancing skills makes him one of a kind in the south industry. His profile on Wikipedia, describes him as film actor, dancer, producer, singer, voice artist, politician, businessman, investor and a member of the Indian National Congress.
Chiranjeevi, whose stardom knows no boundaries, is celebrating his 61st birthday today. On the occasion, let’s take a look at some of the interesting facts about the southern superstar.
1. Chiranjeevi’s real name is Konidela Sivasankara Vara Prasad. His family is a devotee of Lod Hanuman thus his mother advised to change his name to ‘Chiranjeevi’ which means ‘live forever’. It is referred to Lord Hanuman being immortal.
2. His debut film was Pranam Khareedu, which was released in 1978. However, not many would know but Chiranjeevi had to make his debut with another movie Punadhirallu, which got delayed due to some reasons and was released one year later in 1979.
3. Southern superstar’s 1992 film ‘Gharana Mogudu’ was the first Tollywood film that crossed the record of Rs 10 crore at box office. The film was later remade in Hindi as Laadla starring Anil Kapoor and Sridevi.
4. Chiranjeevi, a Padma Bhushan recipient, was tagged as ‘Bigger than Bachchan’ by the Filmfare while ‘The Week’ titled him as "The new money machine". He was, reportedly, the first South Indian actor who was invited for the annual American awards ceremony ‘Oscar’ in the year 1987.
5. He is presently shooting for his 150th film, which is an official remake of Ilayathalapathy Vijay's blockbuster Tamil film Kaththi. The film is titled as Khaidi No 150 and will see Chiranjeevi reprising Vijay’s role. He will be seen in dual avatar and makers are set to release the first look of the movie today on his birthday.
Happy Birthday Chiru!