1. Home
  2. Entertainment
  3. Bollywood
  4. Shweta Basu takes 'U' turn: Rubbishes

Shweta Basu takes 'U' turn: Rubbishes sex racket reports, slams media (view pics)

New Delhi: While the nation was shocked and sympathizing with Shweta Basu Prasad for having no option but prostitution to earn and feed her family, the actress has shockingly rubbished the reports that surfaced in
India TV Entertainment Desk November 04, 2014 8:43 IST
India TV Entertainment Desk

New Delhi: While the nation was shocked and sympathizing with Shweta Basu Prasad for having no option but prostitution to earn and feed her family, the actress has shockingly rubbished the reports that surfaced in media saying she is being victimized in the prostitution case.

The ‘Makdee' actress is shocked to hear the story made up behind her back when she was in custody. The National Award winning Shweta Basu, who was released on October 31 said that while she was in custody she never got to contact even her parents so how could she interact with a media person and that to say such things which are baseless.

"I came home on Friday (October 31). I've no complaints against anyone except the journalist who during my hour of crisis made up a statement attributed to me. That statement was circulated everywhere. I had no idea about it as I had no access to newspapers or websites for two months. It's only now that I came to know of this," said the actress, and added, "I was in custody. I wasn't allowed to speak to my mother and father, then how would I speak to the media? Whoever made up that statement damaged my reputation by saying that all doors were closed on me - no such thing has happened and the film industry has always been very warm and welcoming to me - and that "people encouraged me to get into prostitution to earn money". These are outrageous lies that I never uttered”, says the actress in an interview to a leading daily.

Recalling the night of the incident when a reputed hotel at Banjara Hills in Hyderabad in which she was staying was raided by police, Shweta said that she went there as she was attending an award ceremony and was unaware about anything concerned with the prostitution.

"I had gone there to attend an awards ceremony. Call it fate or whatever, I missed my flight back in the morning. My air ticket and stay were done by the organisers of the awards function. I still have the ticket. I've been told that the agent has been arrested. The case is being investigated. I am a victim in the whole situation. There was a raid... I am not denying the incident. But the facts are not what they've been made out to be”, the actress said further.

In September earlier this year, Shweta Basu was arrested in a high profile sex racket in Hyderabad and since then the news went viral that she took up the sex trade as she was running out of money.

Sakshi Tanwar, Deepika Padukone, director Hansal Mehta have been few Bollywood celebs who after hearing these reports gave out their views defending Shweta and also asked for justice to her.

Deepika even urged everyone to support the girl and not extract a ‘scandal' out of the issue. Hansal Mehta on his Twitter account even declared to offer her a role saying, "I intend to offer Shweta Prasad a role in my next film. She was so good in 'Makdee'.”

All of this support is commendable but on which ground. The actress has said it all as ‘baseless' and we are amazed the world around her has reacted so quickly over it.