1. Home
  2. Lifestyle
  3. SHOCKING! This is why you should

SHOCKING! This is why you should never charge your phone in bed

An Alabama man was nearly electrocuted to death last month due to his smartphone. What happened actually was, his metal necklace accidentally touched the metal prongs of his iPhone’s charger head.
India TV Lifestyle Desk New Delhi April 03, 2017 11:15 IST
India TV Lifestyle Desk

An Alabama man was nearly electrocuted to death last month due to his smartphone. What happened actually was, his metal necklace accidentally touched the metal prongs of his iPhone’s charger head. 

We’re no different, we put our charging phone on our bed. And some of us even use them while they plugged into the charging. Aren’t we all guilty of doing this? 

But this seemingly harmless habit nearly killed a man in Alabama. 

Also Read: There’s a ‘Secret Dating App’ for rich and beautiful people!

Here’s what happened 

Wiley Day fell asleep on March 22 with his iPhone on charging near his head. When he rolled over in the morning, his metal necklace touched the charger head’s exposed prongs which were partly separated from the cord. 

This got the man electrocuted heavily. The 32-year old man described this incident as the most eeriest, darkest and the most demonic incident of his life. 

The electric impulse was so strong that he was thrown from his bed almost immediately. His body went numb within minutes. 

His adult niece ran into his room and pulled off the necklace. His skin was already burned from the chain. 

He was rushed to the nearby hospital where he was diagnosed with second and third degree burns on his neck and hands. He was discharged after three days. He went on warning other people about the safety hazard of charging your phone in the bed. 

Also Read: 6 common battery saving tips that will NOT boost your smartphone’s battery

A warning to all the smartphone users. 

Smartphone users are advised to keep their phones on the table while charging. The gadgets are not worth your life. 

Last month only, a London-based man died after getting electrocuted by his smartphone charger. He had kept his charging smartphone on his chest while taking a bath. He was covered in severe burns after the charger came in contact with water.