World Blood Donor Day 2017: 5 health benefits of blood donation
There are numerous benefits of donating blood which we might not know. Donating blood reduces risk of cancer and hemochromatosis and helps in maintain good health. It also helps in reducing risk of liver or pancreas damage. Blood donation also helps in improving cardiovascular health and reducing obesity. Everyday several blood transfusions process takes place which saves life of many people across the globe. Donating blood is good for both the donor as well as those who need it. It is very necessary that the blood donation process is taken in either hospital or clinic under the supervision of medical experts. It helps in treating patients suffering from cancer, bleeding disorder, chronic anemia and other hereditary blood abnormalities.
Health benefits of blood donation are:
1. Hemochromatosis- Blood donation includes health benefits like reduced risk of hemochromatosis. It is a health condition that arises due to excess absorption of iron by the body. This may be inherited or may be caused due to alcoholism, anemia or other disorders. Regular blood donation leads to reducing iron overload.
2. Anti-cancer benefits- Blood donation helps in lowering risk of cancer. Blood donating helps in maintaining iron stores in the body. A reduction in the iron level in the body is directly linked with low cancer risk.
3. Healthy heart and liver- Blood donation is beneficial in reducing risk of heart and liver ailments caused by iron overload in the body. Consumption of iron rich diet may increase the iron levels in the body, and since only limited proportions can be absorbed, excess iron gets stored in heart, liver and pancreas. This increases the risk of cirrhosis, liver failure, damage to pancreas, and heart abnormalities like irregular heart rhythms.
4. Weight loss- Regular blood donation reduces the weight of the donors. This is helpful to those who are obese or heavy weighted and are at higher risk of cardiovascular diseases and other health disorders. However, blood donation should not be very frequent and you may consult your doctor before donating blood to avoid any several health issues.
5. New blood cells- The body works to refill the blood loss after blood donation. These helps to stimulate the production of new blood cells to maintain good health. Blood donation helps in getting rid of many health problems.