Know about seven seeds to keep you healthy! (see pics)
Los Angeles: From pomegranate, hemp to chia, every seed has something different to provide to the body. But which ones deliver health and body benefits is something that one needs to keep in mind before choosing the right one.
From beverages to bars, seeds are everywhere nowadays thanks to the nutrition they provide. If you are someone who is looking for some nutrition then go for one, reports huffingtonpost.com.
Here are some seeds and their benefits:
* Pomegranate for slimming: Nature's "sweet tarts", the juicy seed is a low-calorie winner. It's packed with antioxidants and fat-burning vitamin C so go for it if you want to lose some weight.
* Hemp for toned muscles: It's one of the few vegetarian sources of complete protein as it contains all 20 amino acids, key to building calorie-burning muscle. Sprinkle some in a post workout shake for a pine nut-like flavour.
* Chia for strong bones: Eat this earthy-tasting seed for its calcium. Two tablespoons offer as much as a slice of cheddar! Mix half a cup with two and a half cups of unsweetened almond milk, one tablespoon maple syrup and cinnamon to taste, and chill for a tapioca like pudding.
* Pumpkin for energy: This light and nutty pepita houses iron, a mineral that helps maintain high energy levels. Roast one cup of seeds with half a tablespoon each of paprika, chili powder and sea salt for an easy to-go snack.
* Sesame for a healthy heart: The rich seed contains linoleic acid, an omega-6 fatty acid that may help control harmful cholesterol. Toasting amplifies flavour and adds a nice crunch to salads.
* Flax for cancer prevention: Nutty flax has cancer-thwarting compounds called lignans and omega-3 fatty acids that reduce disease-causing inflammation.
* Wheat germ for digestion: A small part of a wheat kernel, this slightly sweet seed has inulin, a type of fibre that helps maintain good digestion.