1. Home
  2. India
  3. BSP MP Narendra Kashyap sent to

BSP MP Narendra Kashyap sent to 14-day judicial custody over daughter-in-law’s death

India TV News Desk 07 Apr 2016, 23:49:10 IST
India TV News Desk

Ghaziabad: A local court in Ghaziabad today sent BSP leader and Rajya Sabha MP Narendra Kashyap to judicial custody for 14 days over the mysterious death of his daughter-in-law Himani. The BSP leader has been sent to judicial custody along with his wife and Himani’s husband Sagar.

Himani’s family had alleged that Kashyap and his family members were torturing her over demands for dowry. They were arrested by the police earlier today.

The arrests came following a criminal case against Narendra Kashyap and his family members for allegedly killing Himani for dowry. The complaint was filed by Om Prakash, Himani's uncle.
Himani Kashyap, 29, was found dead in her bathroom at 10.30 a.m on Wednesday.
Police said Himani married Narendra Kashyap’s elder son Sagar about two years ago. She was the daughter of Hira Lal Kashyap, a former Uttar Pradesh minister in the Mayawati government.

Kavi Nagar SHO Ashok Shishodia said that family members rushed a profusely bleeding Himanshi Kashyap (29) with gunshot injury on her head to a nearby hospital where doctors declared her brought dead.

Read Also: BSP MP arrested along with wife, son in dowry death case

Police sprang into action only after getting information from other sources and reached the hospital where a medico-legal memo confirmed that she was brought dead by family members.

While the investigations into the death are on, Himani’s father Heera Lal kashyap said she was being tortured by her in-laws over a demand for an SUV. However, the BSP legislator refused the allegations levelled against him by the girl’s family.

Meanwhile, the firearm used to fire the fatal bullet has been seized. Himanshi was married to Sagar three years ago and the couple have a one-year-old son.           

Her husband Sagar told the police that she had committed suicide using his licensed pistol.    

Police teams reached the spot and collected evidence and were probing whether it is a case of suicide or murder as no suicide note has been recovered from the spot.          

“The family did not inform the police about the incident. The police came to know about it from the hospital memo,” Superintendent of Police Salman Taj Patil.
“Since the case is under investigation, it cannot be said whether it was a suicide or murder,” he said. “The body has been seized for autopsy.”

Prima facie it is a case of suicide, police said, adding the body has been sent for post mortem. So far we have not received any complaint, the SHO said.

(With agencies inputs)