Darkness in North Block after fire, none injured
Fire broke out today in the North Block, which houses the ministries of home and finance, due to a short-circuit in the underground cable, leading to complete darkness in the heritage building for nearly an hour.
The fire broke out near gate number eight of the North Block at around 3 PM but nobody was injured in the incident.
At least four fire tenders were called to douse the blaze.
Sources said the fire broke out due to a short-circuit in underground cables in the basement.
There was no electricity for around 50 minutes leading to complete darkness in the wing where the home ministry is located.
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh, minister of state for home Kiren Rijiju, Union home secretary Rajiv Mehrishi were not present at the building but minister of state for home Hansraj Ahir entered the building amid the darkness.