1. Home
  2. India
  3. Gurgaon gang rape-murder case: 20-year-old auto

Gurgaon gang rape-murder case: 20-year-old auto driver nabbed, admits to crime

India TV News Desk New Delhi 07 Jun 2017, 19:02:21 IST
India TV News Desk

In a major breakthrough in the Manesar gangrape case, the Gurugram police on Wednesday arrested one of the accused who has admitted to the crime. 

“We have arrested one person and he has admitted to the crime to the sarpanch of Bas Kusla village in Manesar,” Gurugram Police Commissioner Sandeep Khirwar told ANI.
Khirwar further informed that the other two perpetrators have also been identified and will be apprehended soon.

“The crime teams used every resource to get information and a very sustained investigation was carried out. This has become possible because of the intelligence inputs. The other two have also been identified and will be apprehended soon,” he added.
The 20-year-old accused is an auto driver hailing from the same village, Bas Khusla, as the victim.

Police said that the accused followed the victim after she left her home following an argument with the neighbour.

According to Khirwar, it was revealed in the course of police interrogation that all accused were originally from Bulandshahr (UP).

Earlier today, the police had released sketches of the three accused in a case of gang rape of a woman and murder of her infant daughter.

After failing to recover any concrete evidence and clues of the three accused who gang-raped the 23-year-old woman and killed her baby daughter on May 29, Gurgaon police released the sketches of the accused and appealed to the public for their identification.

Since the crime occurred in a moving auto-rickshaw, the police had questioned over 50 auto drivers plying in the IMT, Manesar area and detained some of them for interrogation to ascertain the auto and accused persons.

The accused left the victim after raping her for four hours. She then went to the spot where they had earlier thrown her nine-month-old daughter and picked her up in the middle of road and went to a hospital.
The doctors declared the infant dead but still she did not believe it and travelled with the dead child to a hospital in Delhi and later returned to M G Road metro station. 

Khirwar admitted that the victim had travelled with her dead child in the metro the day after the incident and police learnt about the crime only after the victim's husband approached them.
"Her husband and Gurgaon police received the victim from M G Road metro station after she returned from hospital in Delhi. Following that, police conducted post-mortem of the infant," Khirwar said.

The woman and her daughter had left home in Bas Khusla village after an altercation with her husband and neighbours on the night of May 29. She was on her way to her parental house at Khandsa village when she was first given a lift in a truck. The truck driver also molested her but as she put up strong resistance, he dropped her off on NH 8.

As the victim was alone, the three accused in the auto offered her a lift and then gang-raped her. The accused also threw her infant daughter from the vehicle to avoid attention after she started crying.