1. Home
  2. India
  3. Here’s why UP’s ‘Revolver Rani’ stopped

Here’s why UP’s ‘Revolver Rani’ stopped wedding and ‘kidnapped’ ex-boyfriend from venue

India TV News Desk Banda 18 May 2017, 11:53:22 IST
India TV News Desk

Whatever happened at the wedding ceremony in Bundelkhand’s Banda district on Tuesday was nothing short of a Bollywood movie script. 

The only difference one could tell was that instead of the men taking away their lovers from wedding venues, this time around it was a woman kidnapping her ex-boyfriend just moments before he was due to marry another woman. 

Here is what exactly happened and why: 

It was the biggest day in the life of Banda resident Ashok Yadav as he was about to tie the nuptial knot with the woman his family had chosen for him. 

However, just before the bride was about to arrive on the stage, a 25-year-old woman pulled up to the wedding venue in an SUV. Then, with a revolver in her hand, she along with three other armed men, walked straight into the wedding hall. 

The woman took out a pistol, pointed it towards Ashok and asked him to sit in the SUV. She threatened the guests of dire consequences if anyone tried to stop her. 

"I have known him for eight years now. I told him that I would not let this wedding happen, but he was not aware that I would take such a step. Even he was not ready for the marriage," said accused Varsha Sahu.

Before anyone could understand what was happening, Varsha fled from the scene with Ashok.

Following this dramatic series of events, the police was called in to investigate.

Police said that the woman, a Banda resident, worked at a private clinic with Ashok Yadav (the kidnapped man) and the two had an affair for the past several months.

"The boy was from Banda. What happened was that she came to the venue and took the groom at gun-point. The girl has been caught and the girl said they are lovers. She also said that the boy was not happy with the wedding and they both love each other," said Hamirpur Assistant Sub-inspector (ASI).


A case was later lodged with the police, who launched a search operation to intercept the vehicle but failed to trace it.