1. Home
  2. India
  3. J&K: Curfew lifted from large parts

J&K: Curfew lifted from large parts of Srinagar in view of improving situation

India TV News Desk Srinagar 23 Aug 2016, 13:47:02 PM IST
India TV News Desk

In view of improving situation in the strife-torn Kashmir, curfew was today lifted from most areas of the Jammu and Kashmir capital.

The curfew, however, will continue in areas falling under five police station areas of downtown city and Batamaloo, Maisuma and Kralkhud in the uptown.

Jammu and Kashmir authorities had relaxed curfew in areas falling under 12 police stations in Srinagar yesterday from 9am and no untoward incident was reported in this period.

Barring five incidents of stone-pelting, the situation in the Valley remained by and large peaceful throughout the day yesterday.

Considering it a positive sign, curfew was today lifted from large parts of Srinagar.

However, normal life in the Kashmir Valley remained affected for the 46th straight day due to restrictions and strike in the wake of violence following killing of Hizbul Mujahideen terrorist Burhan Wani by Indian security forces.

The lifting of the curbs allowed movement of people in the city as there was increased movement of private cars and auto-rickshaws in and around Lal Chowk city centre today.

However, according to a police official, restrictions on the assembly of four or more persons under Section 144 Crpc will continue to remain imposed in the entire Valley to maintain law and order.

The separatist camp, which is spearheading the agitation in the Valley over the civilian killings during the protests against Wani's killing, has asked women to hold peaceful protests today.

65 persons, including two cops, have been killed and several thousand others injured in the clashes that began on July 9, a day after Wani was killed in an encounter with security forces in Kokernag area of Anantnag district.

Shops, private offices, educational institutions and petrol pumps remained closed for the 46th consecutive day while public transport continued to be off roads. The attendance in government offices and banks was also affected.

Mobile Internet also continued to remain suspended in the entire Valley, where the outgoing facility on prepaid mobiles remained barred.

(With PTI inputs)