1. Home
  2. India
  3. NIT row: Anupam Kher denied entry

NIT row: Anupam Kher denied entry into Srinagar, detained at airport

India TV News Desk 10 Apr 2016, 13:38:02 PM IST
India TV News Desk

Srinagar: Bollywood actor Anupam Kher was allegedly denied entry into Srinagar city by Jammu and Kashmir police after he landed at the airport on Sunday morning.

In a series of tweets he alleged that the police have detained him at the airport but he has asked them for the official orders.


Dear #NITSrinagar Students: Country loves & Salutes ur Nationalism & Courage. Keep it up. Work Hard & Good luck for your exams. #Blessings

— Anupam Kher (@AnupamPkher) April 10, 2016


Dear #NITSrinagar students: Your courage has been Loud & Clear. Now show victory with your exam results. I send you my love from d airport.

— Anupam Kher (@AnupamPkher) April 10, 2016


Asked J&K Police if I can visit my ancestral home or Kheer Bhawani temple. Even that is not allowed. Basically it is #AirportArrest

— Anupam Kher (@AnupamPkher) April 10, 2016


I have been told by J&K police that I cannot enter Srinagar city at all. I have asked them to show me the orders. Still at the airport.

— Anupam Kher (@AnupamPkher) April 10, 2016


Landed in Srinagar. 'HOME' away from home. Will go to #NITSrinagar & meet the students & give them a warm hug & a special gift.:)

— Anupam Kher (@AnupamPkher) April 10, 2016

The actor earlier this morning said that he was visiting Srinagar’s NIT to express solidarity and provide moral support to the students.


Not going there to create probs.Just going there to give them (#NITSrinagar students) a sense of warmth- Anupam Kher pic.twitter.com/6A8ObA8KIb

— ANI (@ANI_news) April 10, 2016

Meanwhile, a group of 150 activists from 12 states, trying to enter Jammu and Kashmir to express solidarity with protesting non-local students of NIT were stopped by authorities on Sunday and urged them call off the march. The marchers carrying the national flag entered the state at Lakhanpur in Kathua district to move to the Valley to express solidarity with the protesting students.

District administration officials including the district magistrate and the senior superintendent of police (SSP) reached the spot and asked the marchers not to proceed further.

"Without using any force, the officials of the district administration succeeded in persuading the marchers to call off the march," an officials said, adding that "the marchers insisted they wanted to move to the Valley to hoist the national flag inside the NIT in Srinagar."

Tension was simmering in NIT, Srinagar, after India lost the World T20 semi-final to West Indies, where some engineering students from outside the state claimed Kashmiri students had chanted anti-India slogans and burst firecrackers to celebrate West Indies victory of Team India.

The NIT authorities said the campus has been closed and the students have been asked to vacate the hostel. To control the situation, officials closed the institute's entrance and did not allow anyone to enter. The police had to be called in after efforts by the NIT officials to control the situation and disperse the crowd failed. The police baton charged the protestors and fired teargas to bring the situation under control.