Portion of Pathankot martyr Niranjan Kumar’s Bengaluru residence demolished
A portion of residence of National Security Guard (NSG) commando Lieutenant Colonel Niranjan Kumar, who was martyred in the Pathankot terror attack earlier in January this year, was demolished in an anti-encroachment drive by Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) in Bengaluru on Thursday.
The demolition drive by BBMP has been undertaken to get rid of the encroachment on storm water drains in the city.
A pillar of house at Doddabommassandra near Vidyaranyapura was in the demolition list, a family member said.
His father Shivarajan is in Palakkad, Kerala organising a function on 15 August in memory of his martyred son.
Kumar’s brother Shashank said that it is definitely “not a good thing and a shame to the country to see a national hero’s house being demolished”.
“It is very hard for us to digest this because we have lost our brother in Pathankot attack and now we are seeing the house is being demolished. And it is not a good thing to see our national hero’s house being demolished. I would request to stop this demolition for good purpose because Niranjan has died for the country and if is going to happen this way then it is a shame for the country,” he said.
“For past 20 years we are here and now suddenly they are coming and telling stories without any prior notice. This is going to affect our family and it is going to become a national issue. If we would have got any prior notice then we would have done something about it. It is a shame for the country. It is up to the government to look into the matter and move forward,” he added.
Kumar, a bomb expert with National Security Guard (NSG), was killed while sanitising a terrorist’s booby-trapped body.
Meanwhile, BBMP continued with its encroachment clearance drive and marked many more buildings for demolition in Vidyaranyapura.
It had identified and marked properties at Yelahanka, Rajarajeshwari Nagar, Bommanahalli, Mahadevapura and Yeshwantpur. The residents of these areas have strongly criticised the BBMP officials for asking them to make alternative arrangements.
Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah had earlier ordered action against 20 government officials for their involvement in encroachment of storm water drains in the city.