Three days on, police detain 6 suspects in Bengaluru molestation case; FIR registered
Three days after the New Year eve revelry turned into a nightmare for several women who were molested at a large gathering in city's downtown area, police today finally detained at least six suspects in connection with the crime.
The detention comes hours after the police claimed to have found credible evidence of molestation and have registered an FIR.
Police had initially denied that any incident of sexual harassment had taken place during the late-night celebrations. But as the incidents drew widespread outrage with no action from the authorities, police said that several teams were working on the case silently.
Police officer Hemant Nimbalkar said that at least six men were detained after several video clips of women being attacked by groups of men went viral on social media.
Bengaluru's new Commissioner of Police, Praveen Sood through a series of tweets informed that they have ‘found credible evidence in a case of wrongful confinement, molestation and attempt to rob’.
"As promised we have found credible evidence repeat credible evidence in a case of wrongful confinement, molestation and attempt to rob," Sood said in a tweet.
"We have taken action by registering an FIR. Investigation is in progress. Police is working.... though silently," he tweeted.
Stating that enquiry is underway by an officer of DCP rank, he has said that they have gone through the feeds from 45 cameras on MG road, and unedited video is available with police.
Eyewitness accounts had suggested that women were molested and groped and lewd remarks were also passed by miscreants late night on December 31 in the posh area even as it was claimed that 1,500 police personnel had been deployed to control the crowds.
Police had earlier said that no one had come forward to file a complaint about the incident. If any lady lodges a complaint of molestation that took place on December 31 night, the police will not waste even a minute in registering a case and launch a probe, Sood had tweeted on January 2, adding even without a complainant if police finds credible evidence of molestation, a case will be registered suo motu without waiting.
Sood took over as the City Police Commissioner from N S Megharikh, on January 1.