1. Home
  2. India
  3. Two Indians amongst 39 killed in

Two Indians amongst 39 killed in Istanbul nightclub attack: MEA

Two Indians were among the 39 people who were killed in a terror attack in Istanbul, the Ministry of External Affairs said today. The tragic attack took place during the New Year's celebrations at a
India TV News Desk New Delhi January 01, 2017 20:49 IST
India TV News Desk

Two Indians were among the 39 people who were killed in a terror attack in Istanbul, the Ministry of External Affairs said today.

The tragic attack took place during the New Year's celebrations at a night club in the Turkish city. 70 others were also injured.

The deceased Indians are identified as Abis Hasn Rizvi, son of former Rajya Sabha MP and noted builder of Bandra in Mumbai Akhtar Hasan Rizvi, and Khushi Shah from Gujarat.

Confirming the deaths, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj tweeted, "I have a bad news from Turkey. We have lost two Indian nationals in the Istanbul attack. Indian Ambassador is on way to Istanbul.

"The victims are Mr. Abis Rizvi son of former Rajya Sabha MP and Ms. Khushi Shah from Gujarat. Abis Rizvi was CEO of Rizvi Builders and had produced a number of films including the 2014 movie Roar: The Tigers of the Sundarbans," she said.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed his condolences. "Heartfelt condolences to the government and people of Turkey on the tragic loss of lives in Istanbul," he tweeted.

The two Indians are among 15 foreigners who have been killed when a gunman went on a rampage at the waterside Reina nightclub where revellers were celebrating the New Year.

Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said the attacker escaped and security forces have launched a major manhunt to nab him while expressing the hope he will be caught soon.

Soylu said 20 victims have been identified so far out of which 15 were foreigners and five were Turks.

At least 70 wounded people have been admitted to hospital. "This was a massacre, a truly inhuman savagery. A manhunt for the terrorist is under way. Police have launched operations. We hope the attacker will be captured soon," Soylu said.

Turkish state news agency Anadolu also quoted Family Minister Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya as saying most of the dead were foreigners "from different countries -- Saudi Arabia, Morocco, Lebanon, Libya".

Local media reports said the attacker may have been wearing a Santa Claus outfit.
 

(With PTI inputs)