2G case: Court fixes December 19 for hearing final arguments
New Delhi: A Delhi court today fixed December 19 for hearing final arguments in 2G spectrum allocation case involving former Telecom Minister A Raja, DMK MP Kanimozhi and 15 others.
Special CBI judge O P Saini, who had concluded recording of defence evidence in the case on September 10, had earlier fixed the case for November 10 for hearing the final arguments.
CBI had alleged that there was a loss of Rs 30,984 crore to the exchequer in allocation of 122 licences for 2G spectrum which were scrapped by the Supreme Court on February 2, 2012.
The special judge, who is exclusively dealing with 2G scam cases, had concluded recording of defence evidence in the case in which the CBI had examined 153 witnesses while the accused called 29 witnesses in their defence.
The recording of evidence in the case involving Raja and 16 others started three years ago on November 11, 2011, after the court framed charges against the 17 accused named in the first two charge sheets filed by the agency.
The court has recorded statements of 153 CBI witnesses, including Reliance ADAG Chairman Anil Ambani, his wife Tina Ambani and former corporate lobbyist Niira Radia, running into over 4,400 pages in the case.
Besides Raja and Kanimozhi, former Telecom Secretary Siddharth Behura, Raja's erstwhile private secretary R K Chandolia, Swan Telecom promoters Shahid Usman Balwa and Vinod Goenka, Unitech Ltd MD Sanjay Chandra, three top executives of Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group (RADAG) -- Gautam Doshi, Surendra Pipara and Hari Nair -- are facing trial in the case.
Directors of Kusegaon Fruits and Vegetables Pvt Ltd Asif Balwa and Rajiv Agarwal, Kalaignar TV Director Sharad Kumar and Bollywood producer Karim Morani are also accused in the case.
Besides these 14 accused persons, three telecom firms -- Swan Telecom Pvt Ltd (STPL), Reliance Telecom Ltd and Unitech Wireless (Tamil Nadu) Ltd - are facing trial in the case.
The court had on October 22, 2011, framed charges against them under various provisions of the IPC and the Prevention of Corruption Act dealing with offences of criminal conspiracy, cheating, forgery, faking documents, abusing official position, criminal misconduct by public servant and taking bribe.
The offences entail punishment ranging from six months in jail to life imprisonment.
The court had earlier said that out of 17, seven accused had not wished to lead evidence in their defence.
It had said Vinod Goenka, Swan Telecom (P) Limited (now Etisalat DB Telecom (P) Limited), Gautam Doshi, Reliance Telecom Ltd and Kanimozhi had mentioned in their statement under section 313 CrPC itself that they do not wish to lead defence evidence.
Later on, co-accused Balwa and Morani, who had earlier desired to lead defence evidence, did not examine any witness and their statements were recorded accordingly, the court had observed.
The judge had also said that "about 1,150 miscellaneous applications were filed by parties in this case and all, but one filed by the prosecution and the one filed by Vijay Aggarwal, advocate, stand disposed of".
The court had fixed November 10 date for hearing final arguments as during this period, the case involving promoters of Essar Group, Loop Telecom and others, Aircel-Maxis deal case and Enforcement Directorate's money laundering case were also listed for hearing.