Italian marine Massimiliano Latorre will not return to India for trial, says senator
New Delhi: An Italy senator has said that Massimiliano Latorre, one of the two Italian marines accused of killing two Kerala fishermen in 2012, will not return to India for trial.
"Massimiliano Latorre will not go back to India," Nicola Latorrewas, the Head of Italian Senate's defence committee, was quoted as saying by Italy's ANSA news agency on Tuesday.
"Works being done on the possibility of requesting for Salvatore Girone (another Italian marine) to be able to return to Italy," Nicola added.
Latorre was allowed by the Supreme Court in September 2014 to go to Italy initially for 4 months after he had suffered a brain stroke. His stay there was extended subsequently.
The Supreme Court on July 13 last year had allowed Latorreto stay in Italy for another six months on medical grounds, after the government did not object to his plea. The six-month period ends tomorrow.
The marines, who were on board ship 'Enrica Lexie', are accused of killing two Indian fishermen off the Kerala coast on February 15, 2012 after mistaking them for pirates.
In April 2012, Rome paid $190,000 to each of the victims' families as compensation. In return, the families dropped their cases against the marines, but the state's case has yet to come to trial.
The Supreme Court which was handling the case suspended the court proceedings relating to the trial of two marines in August last year following an order to this effect by International Tribunal for the Law of the Sea (ITLOS) which was approached by Italy for international arbitration.