1. Home
  2. India
  3. MMS Case: JNU Authorities Zero In

MMS Case: JNU Authorities Zero In On 2 Students

New Delhi, Feb 8: The Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) authorities on Monday zeroed in on two male students, suspecting their involvement in making a pornographic MMS of a girl student, who has since left the
PTI February 08, 2011 16:46 IST
PTI
New Delhi, Feb 8: The Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) authorities on Monday zeroed in on two male students, suspecting their involvement in making a pornographic MMS of a girl student, who has since left the university, reports Mail Today.
 
 The sex video that has rocked the campus came to the notice of the university's security office last week.

A probe was initiated by the chief proctor on Friday after he received a complaint from the chief security officer. The two students, one of whom features in the MMS, are under investigation.

One of them is a student of the School of Languages while the other is from the computer science department. Initial probe has revealed that the MMS clip was shot in April last year.
 
The girl in the explicit video was also a student of the School of Languages, but she reportedly left the university in the summer of 2010 without graduating.

She was reportedly staying in Tapti hostel on the JNU campus when the clip was shot. The inquiry committee said the  MMS of 1 GB size was made in a professional manner with a high resolution camera.
 
“The investigation is underway and we need to get into the details. We have questioned the boys and we will question other witnesses in the hostel. “We have also asked for a report from the hostel warden before coming to any conclusion.

"All we can say now is that it appears the two boys made the video last April,” H.B. Bohidar, JNU's chief proctor, said.
 
 “We are investigating why the MMS has been circulated now, after so many months. Or is it that the university administration didn't come to know of it?”

Asked whether the matter has been reported to the police, Bohidar said: “Once our investigation is complete, we will approach the Delhi Police and lodge a complaint.”
 
He refused to give any timeframe about the probe's completion.
 
After getting the news of the MMS being circulated, the chief security officer filed a detailed report and submitted it, along with evidence, to the university administration on Thursday.
 
Sources in the police said senior officers have met the JNU officials regarding the incident, but the university authorities have not yet filed any complaint.

The sources said during the meeting, it was revealed that the MMS had started circulating about six- seven months ago.
 
A senior police officer said: “ During the short interaction we had with some university officials, we were told that some students of a particular hostel had come to know about the MMS. Maybe this led to the victim leaving the university midway.

“ Prima facie, it appears that the MMS had found its way among the students several months ago and the matter was buried. The university officials said they came to know about the matter recently.”
 
The south district's deputy commissioner of police HGS Dhalwal said: “ We have not received any complaint from the university authorities. We will look into the case once we get a complaint.”
 
The last time JNU was in news for wrong reasons was in August 2009 when the first case of ragging was reported.

The Delhi Police had then registered a case against four students from Sabarmati and Tapti hostels for ragging their juniors in one of the hostel rooms.