1. Home
  2. India
  3. No Records Of Baton Relay Contract:

No Records Of Baton Relay Contract: CBI

NEW DELHI: The CBI probe into the alleged CWG scam seems to have hit a wall.The agency has not found any documented contract related to London-based AM Films and AM Car and Vans, which were
PTI October 20, 2010 12:14 IST
PTI
NEW DELHI: The CBI probe into the alleged CWG scam seems to have hit a wall.

The agency has not found any documented contract related to London-based AM Films and AM Car and Vans, which were hired by the OC to provide logistical support during the baton relay inauguration.

Officials said most of the deals and negotiations were carried out through emails and over phone due to which no contract document was available, reports Times of India.

Sources said these were deemed contracts and very little documentary evidence of the deal was available with the OC. ''The deemed contract materialized over emails and phone calls between sacked T S Darbari, Sanjay Mahendroo and AM Films,'' said a senior CBI official.

OC chief Suresh Kalmadi, who is also under the CBI scanner, had ordered the release of payment to AM Films while he was in London and is learned to have faxed the document to India. No tender was floated for the contract.

The CBI is investigating the trail of Rs 1.8 crore paid by the OC to the previously-unknown AM Films and AM Cars in London. Officials also said they will examine Darbari and Mahendroo, who have already been questioned by Enforcement Directorate.

''The entire case stands on emails exchanged between the OC officials and AM Films because of which it will be difficult to establish criminal culpability in the matter. We have asked for retrieval of some of the documents from the systems used by the former OC officials,'' added a senior officer.

The agency said it was investigating financial irregularities in the Queen's Baton Relay and had seized several documents. ''The QBR was conducted on October 29, 2009.

It was during verification of source information that a CBI team went to the OC office where copies of the QBR-related documents were made available to it,'' said press information officer R K Gaur, adding that no case has been registered by CBI in the alleged scam. So far, said officials, not even a preliminary inquiry has been initiated into the matter.

CBI has received 18 complaints of financial irregularities in the Games. These are not only related to OC, but also other departments, including Delhi government.