1. Home
  2. India
  3. Now, Kasab Wants To Be Tried

Now, Kasab Wants To Be Tried By An International Court

PTI 25 Jan 2010, 18:03:27 IST
PTI

After a series of flip-flops, lone surviving 26/11 Pakistani gunman Ajmal Kasab today sought to drag the Mumbai attacks case, saying he would like to be tried by an international court, but his plea was rejected by a special court in Mumbai.

22-year-old Kasab told the court that he would like to be tried by an international court, to which judge M L Tahaliyani said he could make that plea after the judgement had been pronounced as it was premature at this stage. 

Kasab, who has been making conflicting claims before the court, first by confessing to his involvement in the audacious attack that left 166 dead and later retracting it, also told the court that he would like to examine defence witnesses but refused to name them. 

"I will consult Pakistani authorities on examining defence witnesses if they come here," Kasab said. Asked who were the witnesses, he said they could be passport officers or government staff. Kasab has been claiming that he had come to Mumbai from Pakistan by Samjhauta Express holding a valid passport. 

After hearing prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam and Kasab's lawyer K P Pawar, the judge came to the conclusion that Kasab's case was not of acquittal because of evidence against him and so he was entitled to examine defence witnesses. 

Accordingly, the court allowed Kasab time till January 27 to decide on examining defence witnesses. However, Kasab told the court that he did not wish to be examined as witness on oath. PTI