Inspiring story of 'Pathankot' braveheart Lt Col Niranjan
New Delhi: Lieutenant Colonel Niranjan, an officer of the elite National Security Guard (NSG), who was killed in Pathankot on Sunday while trying to defuse an explosive from a terrorist's body at the IAF base and leaving an inspiring story for people behind him.
Here are some inspirational facts about Lt Col Niranjan which will definitely motivate to the youngsters to become like him:
1. Lt Col Niranjan joined the Indian army by cracking Combined Defence Services Exam (CDSE) which is conducted by UPSC. This is one of the toughest exams conducted in India.
2. Being a head of the elite bomb squad of the NSG, he led his team from front to diffuse the explosive in Pathankot terror attack.
3. He was recently posted in New Delhi as a commando and was promoted to Lt. Colonel.
4. In 2004, he was commissioned in the Engineers Regiment of the Army where his role was to mop up a procedure on the encounter spot.
5. A villager, familiar to Lt Col Niranjan's family, told, ''we all know that there is a young army man in our village. But, we didn't know that he was a Lt Col who worked with the elite NSG''.
6. His elder sister Bhagya Lakshmi said her brother was like 'Arjuna' who fought in his Karmabhoomi (Battle ground).
7. Bhagya Lakshmi also told ''we lost our mother when Niranjan was only 4 years in age and he has faced many challenges in his personal life. The country should remember him as a man who did struggle for his life but not only as an army man''
8. E K Sivarajan, father of Lt Col Niranjan Kumar, told "I called him (Niranjan) up at around 5 pm. I was taking my evening walk and wanted to get some information from him. When I called, he said he was engaged in an operation. He said he would call me back," he said.
9. Sivarajan told, '' About two years ago, when he came on leave for his wedding, he told me that he was getting into the NSG and was very excited about it''
10. Niranjan opted for short service commission and when he asked why not air force or navy, he said he was in love with the olive green.