Thane: Over 150 taken ill due to chemical waste in drain
Thane: As many as 164 residents of Ulhasnagar in Thane district reported symptoms such as burning sensation in the eyes, giddiness and breathing problems following release of a hazardous chemical in a drain in neighbouring Ambarnath today, police said.
Most of them were admitted to Central Hospital in Ulhasnagar. While ten persons were still hospitalised, the rest were discharged, police said.
The condition of those ten persons was said to be stable.
Officials of Maharashtra Pollution Control Board found out, upon inspection, that a hazardous chemical waste had mixed with the water in the drain which flows from Ulhasnagar to Ambarnath.
Ambarnath police have registered a case against unidentified persons under sections 277 (fouling water of reservoir or public spring) and 278 (making atmosphere noxious to health) of the IPC.