1. Home
  2. World
  3. In a first, Chinese military acknowledges

In a first, Chinese military acknowledges 2013 Ladakh incursion

PTI August 01, 2014 8:21 IST
PTI
Beijing: For the first time, the Chinese military on Thursday acknowledged last year's incursion at the Depsang valley in Ladakh region and said such incidents occurred due to different perception about the line of actual control.

"Last year there was some incident in the border region. All the issues have been properly solved though negotiations," Colonel Geng Yansheng, spokesman for the ministry of national defence said.

However, he did not specifically mention the Depsang valley by name where the People's Liberation Army (PLA) troops pitched tents to assert their control over the area in April last year.

"The boundary line has not been demarcated and both sides has different interpretation on the line of actual control," he said while answering a question posed by PTI at a press briefing here in which select foreign media was permitted for the first time in the history of Chinese military.

PTI is the only Indian media to be invited to attend the once a month briefing so far confined only to the local media.

The foreign media has been invited to contribute to better and more objective understanding of China and Chinese military, Geng said.