Cylinder Blast In Hare Krishna Temple In Leicester, No CasualtiesA gas cylinder blast caused a devastating fire destroying a portion of Hare Krishna Temple in Leicester, central England on Friday. There were no casualties. A third of the terraced property on Thoresby Street was
A gas cylinder blast caused a devastating fire destroying a portion of Hare Krishna Temple in Leicester, central England on Friday. There were no casualties.
A third of the terraced property on Thoresby Street was destroyed.
There were earlier reports that worshippers were trapped inside the building, but Leicestershire Fire Service has confirmed everyone is accounted for.
It is thought that gas cylinders being used for cooking during celebrations at the temple could have exploded.
A wide cordon is in place around the building, which was on fire till late afternoon.
A local councillor told BBC Radio Leicester that the president of the temple had also confirmed that everyone who had been inside the temple was "safe and well".
BBC reporter Jonathan Cecil said he had seen a couple of "walking wounded" outside the building.
Eyewitness Fatima Khatri said: "We were all working and we suddenly heard a big bang and for one split second we thought it was a bomb, so we all ran to the window.
"Suddenly we heard the other bang and we saw all these flames coming out and we just could not believe it because the whole street was shaken up.
"Everyone was really nervous because all we could see is the fire and people screaming and running around, all the children couldn't stop crying and it was a terrible devastating scene."
Dillon Kidger, who works for a roofing company in the same road as the temple said he heard a large explosion.
He said: "It was actually that loud that the building shook.
"I heard banging noises and people screaming, there was a big fire and the building was gone in about five to 10 minutes.
"I saw a few people praying outside and people walking round with cuts to their hands and faces from the shrapnel.
"I don't think there was anybody trapped inside from what I could tell."
He said he immediately rang the emergency services.