1. Home
  2. World
  3. Pak ISI Plots Attacks In Afghanistan

Pak ISI Plots Attacks In Afghanistan

Afghanistan has accused Pakistan's ISI of plotting suicide terror strikes on its soil including attacks on the Indian embassy and attack last week that killed six NATO soldiers, including four colonels. The charge was made
PTI May 25, 2010 13:55 IST
PTI
Afghanistan has accused Pakistan's ISI of plotting suicide terror strikes on its soil including attacks on the Indian embassy and attack last week that killed six NATO soldiers, including four colonels.

The charge was made by a spokesman for Afghan intelligence Saeed Ansari who announced the arrest of seven persons suspected of organising the attacks.

"All the explosions and terrorist attacks by these people (terrorists) were plotted from the other side of the border and most of the explosives and materials used for the attacks were also brought from the other side to Afghanistan," Ansari was quoted as saying by 'The New York Times'.

"Of course, when we say that those attacks were plotted from the other side of the border, the intelligence service of our neighbouring country has definitely had its role in equipping and training of this group (Taliban)," he said, referring to Pakistan's ISI.

The seven suspected militants have links to Afghan Taliban leaders currently based in Pakistan and are responsible for a series of attacks in Kabul, including one on the Indian Embassy last year and on a guest house frequented by Indians.

Ansari said, the suspects who had been arrested over the past one week received training in Pakistan and during the past year the group organised about eight bombings that together killed 37 people before their arrest.

The Afghan intelligence spokesman said these terrorists were also responsible for an attack on a convoy of NATO and ISAF SUV's near the Afghan defence ministry in Kabul.

The blast killed 18 people including a Canadian and an American colonel, two US Lt Colonels and their two American drivers as well as 12 Afghan civilians.

The seven suspects, all Afghans ranging in the age from 21 to 45, lived in Kabul, and included a schoolteacher, a taxi driver and a trading company employee.

One was identified as the second in command of the Taliban suicide bombing cell. Ansari said they had been arrested in the past week and their commander was a man known as Dawood, the Taliban's shadow governor for the Afghan capital.

Ansari said the suspects received orders from the shadow governor who was identified as Daud Sorkha, and another suspect Taj Mohammad, both living in Pakistan.

"All members of this band have been arrested except Daud Sorkha and Taj Mohammad," he said.

The Afghan authorities also released names and photos of the suspects as well as their videotaped cofessions. In the confessions the men admitted having roles in the attack from providing vehicles storing explosives.

They said, the attacks had been organised when they were in the Pakistani city of Peshawar. They admitted they belonged to Taliban and that the attacks were plotted from the group's clandestine office in Peshawar.

Among the attacks the group had carried out, Ansari said, was a deadly suicide and gun attack on two Kabul guest houses packed with foreigners.

The February 26 raid resulted in the deaths of 16 people, including seven Indians, a French filmmaker and an Italian diplomat. PTI