Pakistan forms team to probe Wagah attack
Islamabad: Pakistan has formed a joint investigation team to probe the deadly terror attack at Wagah border crossing and it has been asked to submit a report within three days.
The team comprising representatives of the Chenab Rangers, Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI), Counter Terrorism Department, Special Branch and Punjab Police would thoroughly look into possible security lapse that allowed the suicide bomber to reach the venue.
Punjab Home Minister Shuja Khanzada said that team would submit its report within three days, Dawn newspaper reported.
He admitted that the authorities had been warned on October 31 of a terrorist attack in the provincial capital and that Wagah border was among the possible targets.
The information, he claimed, had been timely conveyed to the Rangers in whose jurisdiction the Wagah parade ground falls.
In the light of the information, two dozen more police personnel were deputed on the joint check-post.
The minister said it was not yet clear how the bomber managed to reach the spot after dodging the joint check-post of Rangers and police and a couple of pickets on the way.
He did not rule out involvement of a foreign hand.
At least 61 people including, 10 women, eight children and three security personnel were killed when a suicide-bomber blew himself up near the main gate of Wagah Border Parade Avenue yesterday.
More than 100 injured are being treated in various hospitals in Lahore.