Prospect of good monsoon rekindled hope for a good harvest: PM Modi
New Delhi: Prime Minister Narendra Modi today has urged citizens to conserve water to tackle water scarcity and drought situation prevailing in the country.
In his 19h edition of monthly Mann Ki Baat programme on All India Radio, he said though government is doing its best to save water, but people have a greater role to play. He said all efforts should be made to save a drop of water.
On IMD’s prediction of good monsoon this year, he said, “The prospect of good monsoon has rekindled hope for a good harvest. It also presents us with challenge to start movement for water conservation. It is very imperative to conserve and store rain water in villages. We must start a campaign to promote this.”
Calling for making rain water harvesting a movement in villages, the Prime Minister said it will be possible only with coordinated efforts. He said when the water table rises, the quality of water also improves.
Citing exemplary work done by Hiware Bazar villagers in Ahmednagar district of Maharashtra, he said, “They changed the cropping pattern for optimal use of water. The villagers are using drip irrigation, water harvesting, water recharging to tackle the water crisis.”
He also complimented Indian Railways for prompt action for sending water to parched Latur.
PM appeals for clean Ganga
Appealing everyone to be a change agent in cleaning Ganga, he mentioned about various steps including surface cleaning being taken by the government to make the river clean.
“Ganga gives us bread,” he said, adding that “people are donating generously for cleaning of Ganga”. “Ganga is an essential water resource. We have to become a changing agent to conserve water and promote cleanliness drive. The Government is making numerous efforts.”
The Prime Minister further complimented the one1 crore LPG consumers who gave voluntarily given up subsidy in gas cylinders.
* Our country has a special feature Kumbh Mela. It can become a tourist attraction event. Many people are uploading photos of the Simhasth Kumbh. We should encourage them, so that people know about the Kumbh Mela: PM
* Good news is an inspiration to do good. You can send such positive news on @mygovindia portal: PM Modi
* I salute those 1 crore families who have forced politicians to think differently. I want to tell all political parties in the country that we must believe in our people, they can do wonders: PM Modi
* In past, during elections which party will provide how much subsidy LPGs was an important subject. Several committees were set up to discuss this, but what was the outcome? But I opted a third way, I believed in my people. I urged them to give up their gas subsidy. And today I feel very proud to say that about 1 crore families gave up their gas subsidy by own: PM Modi
* Today is April 24, we celebrate this day as 'Panchayati Raj Divas'. It has helped reach democratic values in villages: PM Modi
* 'Ganga' is an essential water resource. We have to become a changing agent to conserve water and promote cleanliness drive. The Government is making numerous efforts: PM Modi
* It is imperative to conserve and store rain water in villages. We must start a campaign to promote this: PM Modi
* Prospect of a good Monsoon while bringing hope, also presents us with challenge to start movement for water conservation. It is very imperative to conserve and store rain water in villages. We must start a campaign to promote this: PM Modi
* The news of a good monsoon has made several people happy: PM
* When the water table rises, the quality of water also improves. Clean drinking water means better health & stronger growth of economy: PM Modi
* Many times, due to encroachment,silting and blockade in water channels, reservoirs store far less water than their capacity. I was told that in Ahmednagar (Maharashtra),administration took water crisis issue sensitively & brought about changes in crop pattern: PM Modi
In the previous editions of the programme, Modi had shared his thoughts on a range of issues including water conservation, drug addiction, farmers problems, menace of corruption, declining sex ratio, promotion of Khadi and high rate of casualties in road accidents among others.