Rio 2016: Longing for medal, India’s hopes now on Vikas Krishan, Lalita Babar
After nine days of disappointment for the Indian contingent in the Rio Olympics, the hopes of a medal now depend on boxer Vikas Krishan and woman steeplechaser Lalita Babar.
After a comprehensive win over Turkey’s Onder Sipal in the pre-quarterfinals, Vikas Krishan Yadav will be taking on Uzbekistan’s Bektemir Melikuziev in the quarter-finals on Monday, which means that he is just a win away from an Olympic medal.
Meanwhile, Lalita Babar, who shattered the national record in the qualifying round, will be competing in the women’s 3,000 metre steeplechase finals today.
Woman discuss thrower Seema Punia will also be seen in action in the qualifying round as she represents India for the third time in Olympics.
Here is the Indian contingent’s schedule for Day 10 at Rio Olympics:
- 6:00 pm IST: Men’s Triple Jump Qualification Round (Renjith Maheshwary)
- 6:05 pm IST: Women’s 200 m Round 1 (Srabani Nanda)
- 6:55 pm IST: Women’s 3,000 m Steeplechase Final (Lalita Babar)
- 7:02 pm IST: Men’s Greco-Roman 85 kg Round of 16 (Ravinder Khatri)
- 3:30 am IST (Tuesday): Men’s Middleweight Quarter-Finals (Vikas Krishan vs Bektemir Melikuziev)
- 5:00 am IST (Tuesday): Women’s Discuss Throw Qualification Round (Seema Antil)