Force India confirm Perez for 2015 and beyondAbu Dhabi: Sahara Force India on Saturday made it official that Mexican driver Sergio Perez will continue racing with the team in 2015 and beyond.Team principal Vijay Mallya had already said that he would be
Abu Dhabi: Sahara Force India on Saturday made it official that Mexican driver Sergio Perez will continue racing with the team in 2015 and beyond.
Team principal Vijay Mallya had already said that he would be happy to retain Perez and his German teammate Nico Hulkenberg for another year. The announcement on Hulkenberg was made last month.
Perez, in his first season at Force India, is 12th in the drivers' standings with 47 points going into the season-ending Abu Dhabi Grand Prix tomorrow. Hulkenberg, on the other hand, is ninth with 80 points.
The Mexican famously helped his team bag its first podium in five years by finishing third in Bahrain.
Mallya said he is looking forward to more success with Perez.
"I am delighted that Checo will continue with us. He is a true racer who has done a fantastic job for us this season. The whole team has been impressed with his speed and racecraft, as well as his role away from the track," said Mallya.
"He has a very bright future in Formula One and we will do our utmost to give him the equipment to match his talent. I look forward to celebrating more strong results with Checo this year and in years to come, and I cannot wait for Checo's first home Grand Prix in Mexico in front of his huge following of passionate fans," added the Indian businessman.
Perez said: "It's good to announce my plans. As soon as I joined Sahara Force India, I noticed the hunger and determination of everyone in the team, and I'm very proud to be part of that.
"I feel at home here and I'm fully committed. I'm enjoying my racing and we've already celebrated some special results together. It's important for me to establish myself in a team and have some continuity.