Diego Maradona confirms in fray for FIFA presidency
Buenos Aires: Argentine football legend Diego Maradona has confirmed that he intends to run for the FIFA presidency to succeed Sepp Blatter, according to Uruguayan broadcaster Victor Hugo Morales.
Maradona, 54, has been a fierce critic of Blatter, and the former Argentina captain and manager has now decided to stand for the position to be the most powerful man in world football, the Uruguayan broadcaster and writer Morales tweeted on Monday.
Blatter has resigned from the presidency, but remains in the post pending a timetable for a new election.
That is likely to happen in December or early next year, and Morales, famous for his commentary of Maradona's astounding second goal against England in the 1986 World Cup quarter-final, said on Twitter that he has been authorised by Maradona to release the information and make it public that his name will be on the ballot paper.
"He (Maradona) told me he was going to run for president of FIFA and authorised me to inform," tweeted Morales, who co-hosted a TV programme with Maradona during last year's World Cup finals.
"'I am a candidate' were the words Diego Maradona used to answer me when I consulted him about the nomination for the presidency of FIFA," Morales said.
In May, Maradona launched a scathing attack on Blatter saying: "Under Sepp Blatter, FIFA has become a disgrace and a painful embarrassment to those of us who care about football deeply."
Another former player, Brazil's Zico, has announced his candidacy as has Liberia FA chairman Musa Bility.