7 Rafting tips for a memorable affairA vacation minus adventure is like a Bollywood movie sans song and dance.Some love mountains, some love beaches, some love trekking and some love the kick that adventure brings in. For the adventurous sorts, rafting
A vacation minus adventure is like a Bollywood movie sans song and dance.
Some love mountains, some love beaches, some love trekking and some love the kick that adventure brings in. For the adventurous sorts, rafting has always been one bang-on option that never ever fails the adrenaline rush!
For instance, the whole manoeuvring exercise and fighting your way through the rapids in a tranquil set up gives an incredible high altogether. Secondly, most of these rafting spots are quite nearby, Rishikesh, Leh, Cauvery (Bheemeshwari), Kondaji (Davanagere), Kundalika, Kolad, Zanskar, Teesta river camp and Tons.
Rafting is exciting, awesome, fun and a lifetime experience but it has also proved fatal for many, the recent one being UP Labour Minister's 24-year-old daughter, Abida Hasin. This case, though a high profile one, has yet again questioned the safety around this much loved adventure sports.
No matter how closely you follow the tips, no matter how many times you have been there before (you can't really master it until you are a professional guide), no matter how alert you are, you just don't know when the rapid turns into a fiery monster and gulps you down.
But for starters, the basic thumb rule remains – never panic. For the rest, here are some easy tips to keep in mind.
1. Don't try and be a stud, choose the difficulty level wisely and carefully. Also, go for the right age bracket. If you are a first timer, white water rafting would not be a viable option.
2. First and foremost, remember, you aint on a trip to a water park, where everything is fancy and stuff. Rafting is hell real. So, choose an outfit that is comfortable even if you are drenched from head to toe. Also, your shoes ought to be water –friendly so that you don't lose your grip. Avoid accessories of any form.
3. If you lose your watch, you can still take it, but imagine your iphone 6 swimming in the water, not a good feeling at all. So carrying any value (which is also non-waterproof) is a strict no-no.
4. A good life jacket is very important. Always remember to choose a good one.
5. If you are a good swimmer, it's awesome, but if you are not, try and learn the basics before you embark on this journey.
6. Don't drink any sort of alcohol before rafting. Though drinking is a part of any vacation, but not a good idea when you are indulging in any type of adventure sports.
7. Avoid rafting in the dark no matter how amazing it may sound.
And the rest, always remember and follow what the guide says. After all, they are there for a reason, let's not challenge them.