International Yoga Day 2017: 7 quotes by Narendra Modi on the ancient technique will inspire you to do Yoga now!72 students and teachers from the City Montessori School of Lucknow will be performing yogic exercises at the United Nations Headquarters in New York today
On 21st June, the world is observing International Yoga Day. It is commonly referred to as Yoga Day. It was started being celebrated since 21st June, 2015. A separate day was dedicated to Yoga unanimously by the United Nations General Assembly on 11th December 2014, but the Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi suggested UN to change the date of International Yoga Day to 21st June. Do you know why? Because 21st June is the longest day of the year in the Northern Hemisphere and it shares a special significance in the world.
This year, International Yoga Day will be observing its third anniversary. 72 students and teachers from the City Montessori School of Lucknow will be performing yogic exercises at the United Nations Headquarters in New York today.
On the occasion of International Yoga Day, PM Modi have taken part extensively in the Yoga events and have also shared his words of wisdom with us.
Here are some of the best quotes shared by PM Modi on the occasion of Yoga Day.
While celebrating the third edition of International Yoga Day today, Prime Minister Narendra Modi said,
"Salt is not the sole requirement for life but without it life also cannot run. Like salt has an indispensable place in our life, we can give a similar place to yoga,"
At UN General Assembly, during his speech on 27th September, 2014, he said:
Yoga is an invaluable gift of India's ancient tradition. It embodies unity of mind and body; thought and action; restraint and fulfillment; harmony between man and nature; a holistic approach to health and well-being. It is not about exercise but to discover the sense of oneness with yourself, the world and the nature. By changing our lifestyle and creating consciousness, it can help in well being. Let us work towards adopting an International Yoga Day.
- Yoga is a symbol of universal aspiration for health and well-being. It is health assurance in zero budget.
- Yoga guarantees wellness as well as fitness. Yoga is not merely an exercise but a way to attain peace through physical, mental and spiritual well being.
- Once an individual develops interest in Yoga and starts diligently practicing it, it will always remain a part of his or her life. Yoga is the entrance point to one’s spiritual journey.
- Yoga is a code to connect people with life, and to reconnect mankind with nature. It expands our limited sense of self, to see our families, societies and mankind, as extensions of our own self.
- By practicing Yoga, a spirit of oneness is created- oneness of the mind, body and the intellect. Oneness with our families, with the society we live in, with fellow human beings, with all the birds, animals and trees with whom we share our beautiful planet... this is Yoga.