Summer essentials for that ever-so-fresh and glowing skin!Be summer ready for the love of skinNew Delhi: Not everything about summer is shiny and bright as scorching heat and harsh sun rays of the season can play havoc with the skin. Skin gets
Be summer ready for the love of skin
New Delhi: Not everything about summer is shiny and bright as scorching heat and harsh sun rays of the season can play havoc with the skin. Skin gets battered as it tends to lose its natural tone and moisture leading to tanning, pre-mature ageing and sun spots.
The common places where women notice skin tanning and sun burns are the back, face, sleeve lines and feet lines, especially around footwear straps.
Aparna Santhanam, skin care expert at Hindustan Unilever, laid out some tips that can be easily followed to combat the damage with no fuss, read a statement.
Here's what Santhanam suggests:
* Look beyond SPF: SPF is not the only measure of sun protection. Look for 'dual spectrum' or 'broad spectrum' sun protection lotion to also protect your skin against UVA rays.
* The number game: SPF number is just one factor. Higher is not always better. An SPF of 20, if used properly, can protect your skin really well.
* Keep tanning at bay: Try and choose a sunscreen with an anti-tanning component to keep skin protected from immediate sunburn and tan response.
* Give attention to body: Women tend to use a sun protection lotion only on their face. It is important for them to understand that any exposed part of the body such as nape of the neck, arms and back and even the back of hands and feet need protection from the harsh rays of the sun.
* Even it out: Sunscreen is most effective when applied evenly on skin and at least 15-20 minutes before stepping out in the sun. It ensures even tone by preventing uneven tanning.
* Breathe like a yogi: Yoga rituals such as Shitli and Sitkari Pranayama are known to cool the body. Practising them every day is beneficial for the overall health of skin.
* Drink it up: It is very crucial to hydrate your body adequately throughout the day not just with water but also with foods that are known to be high in water content such as watermelon, tomatoes, carrots and cucumbers.
* Summer essentials: Using physical protection like umbrellas and scarves wherever and whenever you can provides the best protection for your body skin.
* Holistic approach: Meditation and deep breathing calm the mind, improve circulation and give a special glow to the skin. Take five minutes every day to breathe deep and rejuvenate the skin.