Lighting of stove might have sparked GAIL pipeline fire: Police

Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Police said the lighting of a stove by a tea vendor might have sparked today's fire in the GAIL pipeline in East Godavari district after leaked gas from the line enveloped the
lighting of stove might have sparked gail...
PTI 27 Jun 2014, 02:43 PM IST
Hyderabad: Andhra Pradesh Police said the lighting of a stove by a tea vendor might have sparked today's fire in the GAIL pipeline in East Godavari district after leaked gas from the line enveloped the area.

As per initial information, there was a major gas leakage from the pipeline around 4.30 AM at Nagaram village in Mamidikuduru Mandal of the district which spread to nearby areas and lighting of a stove at a tea shop triggered the fire and a blast, IGP North Coastal Zone Atul Singh said.

However, he said only after a detailed inquiry the exact cause of the incident will be known.

The impact of the blast was such that a crater was created on the ground. The fire spread rapidly to the houses in the area gutting them. At least 14 persons were charred to death and 18 others injured in the fire, Singh said.

The gas supply through the pipeline has been suspended by the authorities following the incident, he said.
 
   
 

More from india