IPS Officer Sanjeev Bhatt's Security Cover Removed

Ahmedabad, Apr 29: IPS officer Sanjeev Bhatt has sought adequate security cover for himself and his family after the Gujarat police decided to withdraw it, directing five constables deployed with him to report back to
ips officer sanjeev bhatt s security cover...
PTI 29 Apr 2011, 09:27 PM IST

Ahmedabad, Apr 29: IPS officer Sanjeev Bhatt has sought adequate security cover for himself and his family after the Gujarat police decided to withdraw it, directing five constables deployed with him to report back to Junagadh.

"Yesterday, the DGP issued orders asking all the five constables from the SRPTC deployed with us as a makeshift security arrangement for me and my family, to report back to Junagadh," Bhatt, who is currently on leave, told PTI.

He said this is the second such order asking for withdrawl of the security for him and his family, despite the State Intelligence Bureau (SIB) recommending for him Y-category security, which comprises 11 personnel including two personal security officers (PSOs).

Earlier this month, ADGP (training) had ordered that the five men and the vehicle deployed with Bhatt be sent back to Junagadh, where he is posted as principal, State Reserve Police Training Centre (SRPTC).

"In first week of March after the Tehelka story (on my statement), there was an assessment done on the threat to me and my family by the SIB and then later by the Ahmedabad police commissioner. Both have recommended at least Y-category security cover for me and my family," Bhatt said.

In his affidavit filed in the Supreme Court, Bhatt had alleged that Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi instructed officers during a late night meeting held on February 27, 2002 to allow Hindus "to vent out their anger" during the clashes and he wanted Muslims to be "taught a lesson".

The 1988-batch IPS officer said he was capable of taking care of himself, but was concerned about his family's security in the given circumstances, especially after the filing of the affidavit in the Supreme Court.

Bhatt said that he has been provided an armed constable by the City police commissioner after the media reports on the affidavit he had filed.

Post his affidavit in the apex court, Bhatt has also been summoned by the Nanavati Commission, probing the 2002 riot cases, on May 16.

An NGO, Jan Sangharsh Manch (JSM), representing some of the 2002 riot victims, has also filed an application in the Nanavati Commission seeking summoning and cross examination of Bhatt to get clarity on role and conduct of Chief Minister Narendra Modi during post-Godhra events.

In his affidavit filed on April 14 in the SC, has also alleged the apex court appointed special investigation team (SIT) of coercing witnesses, hostility, cover-up of probe, and showing reluctance in recording important information with regard to the riots.

Bhatt, who was questioned by SIT on March 21,22,23, said in the affidavit that after facing 'unconcealed hostility' by the SIT members he was under the apprehensions that the agency was part of the cover-up operations with regard to the probe in riot cases. PTI

 
   
 

More from india