Five Delhi doctors tested positive for swine-flu virusNew Delhi: After claiming 60 lives in January this year, five Delhi doctors from Lok Nayak Hospital succumbed to the deadly Swine Flu virus after coming into contact with the diagnosed patients.The concerned authorities claimed
New Delhi: After claiming 60 lives in January this year, five Delhi doctors from Lok Nayak Hospital succumbed to the deadly Swine Flu virus after coming into contact with the diagnosed patients.
The concerned authorities claimed to have taken necessary precautions and measures to avoid the high risk of the H1N1 infection among the medical staff who deal with swine flu patients on a daily basis.
According to the sources, the doctors who contracted the disease are seniors. The hospital administration now has cut down the number of doctors to be posted at the isolation ward where these patients have been admitted.
"The government and the state health department are at fault. The doctors are highly exposed to the disease as they work closely with suspected H1N1 patients. There is a need to have more preventive measures in place for the medical staff," said one of the doctors.
Hospital sources said five doctors attached to the general medicine department were deputed to work at the isolation ward however in a recent decision taken by the administration; the doctors have been now shifted back to the medicine ward.
"The hospital officials have taken this decision to prevent more doctors falling prey to the H1N1 virus. Even the administration is worried," said another senior doctor pleading anonymity.
Delhi government is also questioned by the medical fraternity over the steps taken to help the doctors. "Covering the face with a mask will not help us much. The doctors should be given vaccination so that they don't fall ill," a doctor said.
At present there are three patients at the isolation ward of the hospital, which means out of the total four beds three are occupied.
The Delhi health department, however, is unaware about the entire episode. "I have no information about this. What I know is that no doctor of any government hospital has been tested positive for the virus," said Dr S.K. Sharma, director, Health Services.
Earlier, Officals in Pune said that a total of 661 people were diagnosed with the deadly virus which is higher compared to last year.
Telangana reported maximum cases (238) followed by Delhi (179), Gujarat (91), Rajasthan (67) and Maharashtra (42).
Rajasthan has been the worst hit by the disease where the death toll mounted to 29 after two more deaths on Wednesday of two men aged 24 and 38 in Jaipur and Ajmer while five were tested positive. Hyderabad recorded four more swine flu deaths on Wednesday as toll from the disease mounted to 24 in January.
Experts say that people should avoid overcrowded places and must maintain respiratory hygiene to lead healthy life and avoid the disease.
In Maharashtra, over 3.51 lakh people were screened for the influenza in January. Of them, 843 people were administered Tamiflu tablets as a precautionary measure.