Smart Cities: All you need to know about PM Modi's pet projectNew Delhi: The Urban Development Ministry today announced the list of 98 Smart Cities that includes 13 from Uttar Pradesh, 12 from Tamil Nadu, 10 from Maharashtra, 7 from Madhya Pradesh, 3 each from Bihar
New Delhi: The Urban Development Ministry today announced the list of 98 Smart Cities that includes 13 from Uttar Pradesh, 12 from Tamil Nadu, 10 from Maharashtra, 7 from Madhya Pradesh, 3 each from Bihar & Andhra Pradesh.
Let's have a look at key features of Smart Cities that you must know :
1. Promoting mixed land use in are-based developments – planning for unplanned areas containing a range of compatible activities and land uses close to one another in order to make land use more efficient.
2. Housing and inclusiveness – expand housing opportunities for all.
3. Creating walkable localities – reduce congestion, air pollution and resource depletion, boost local economy, promote interactions and ensure security.
4. The road network is created or refurbished not only for vehicles and public transport, but also for pedestrians and cyclists and necessary administrative services are offered within walking or cycling distance.
5. Preserving and developing open spaces – park, playgrounds and recreational spaces in order to enhance the quality of life of citizens, reduce the urban heat effects in areas and generally promote eco-balance.
6. Promoting a variety of transport options – transit oriented development, public transport and last mile para-transport connectivity.
7. Making governance citizen-friendly and cost effective. Increasingly rely on online services to bring accountability and transparency, especially using mobiles to reduce cost of services and providing services without having to go to municipal office.
8. Form e-groups to listen to people and obtain feedback and use online monitoring of programs and activities with the aid of cyber tour of worksites.
9. Giving an identity to the city based on its main economic activity, such as local cuisine, health. Education, arts and craft, culture, sports good, furniture, hosiery, textile, dairy etc.
10. Applying Smart Solution to infrastructure and services in area-based development in order to make them better. For Ex- making areas less vulnerable to disasters, using fewer resources, and providing cheaper services.
Here are the different steps taken for the selection of the smart cities.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched the smart city mission on June 25
Smart City Finance
The core infrastructure elements in a SmartCity would include the following: