Uber marks email to the rape survivor stating it has resumed services in DelhiNew Delhi: In less than two months time since a New Delhi executive was allegedly raped by a driver of Uber Radio Taxi Services on December 5th last year, the company has shown an “upsetting
New Delhi: In less than two months time since a New Delhi executive was allegedly raped by a driver of Uber Radio Taxi Services on December 5th last year, the company has shown an “upsetting audacity” by emailing the rape victim directly about “relaunch” of its operations in Delhi.
The news was no less than a shocker for both the victim and her family.
The 25-year old woman is reportedly very “upset” and equally “surprised” at the “audacity of the cab-hailing company” which copied her on an email it has sent to its customers on Friday stating that the latter is relaunching its operations in Delhi.
Victim's American lawyer, Douglas Wigdor, has also expressed a similar displeasure on receiving the email and that the company was back in Delhi without a consultation process with them.
Wigdor, currently handling the case of the victim is also assisting her in an effort to file suit against Uber in a US Court.
He stated that they were taking appropriate steps “in an attempt to ensure the safety of future Uber customers.”
“We had made it clear to Uber that the victim wanted to be part of a consultation process regarding safety procedures to ensure that no other person becomes a victim at the hands of an Uber driver. Most unfortunately, this has not happened and we have no confidence that the touted ‘India-specific safety measures' will prevent another attack”, he told this to Indian Express.
Reportedly, the US-based online cab service was banned from plying in Delhi after one of its drivers sexually assaulted an executive who boarded the cab late at night.
The decision was further notified through a public notice issued by the transport department also three days after the incident.
Delhi High Court also refused to lift the ban although a petition was filed by the operator company.
However, on Thursday the company agreed to the modified rules of the 2006 Radio Taxi scheme and applied for a fresh license through an Indian subsidiary named Resource Experts India Private Limited.
And on Friday, it sent mails to its customers claiming, “We're back to serve you and get you moving again, which it copied to the victim also causing displeasure and dejection to the latter and her family.
According to the information collated from various media sources, the company could not resume services as it will be violation of rules.
“Applying for a license does not mean it has been granted. Also, applying under the name of another subsidiary company would mean that when passengers book themselves on Uber, the company would not take responsibility in case of any untoward incident because the license for operation (in case it is granted) would be in the name of another company,” said a source.
Special Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Muktesh Chander said, “Till we get an official confirmation that a valid license has been granted to Uber to operate in Delhi, the service will be considered illegal and will not be allowed to operate.”
Uber has stated in the email sent to its customers that a day before the company has applied for a license under the Radio Taxi Scheme to bring more transportation options to its customers.
They mentioned that they believed that the regulations do not apply strictly to a technology platform like Uber.
To substantiate the same, they quoted an example of leadership trait shown by authorities in Bidhannagar, Kolkata who have embraced innovation, supported consumer choice and ensured safety of its riders.
It also mentioned about the pathos of their partner-drivers many of whom have lost their primary source of income since the time company has been banned to ply its cabs on roads.
It claimed tall to offer “5-star worthy experience rides” and also offered 25 percent flat discount on the renewal of services.