India TV debates nationalism and the politicisation of campusesCampuses in the national capital has once again become a focus point of discussion over nationalism.
A year after controversy at Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) over alleged anti-national slogans, campuses in the national capital has once again become a focus point of discussion over nationalism.
India TV is conducting a debate on the issue with representatives from different political parties and ideologies.
Here are the highlights:
* SFI student was beating one of the students on February 22: Nupur Sharma, BJP
* I will continue to defend the rights to speak of Umar Khalid, Arun Jaitley: Nandita Narain, President Delhi University Teachers' Association (DUTA)
* It is wrong to say ABVP does 'gundagardi': Amit Tanwar, President DUSU
* Dissent and debate is important for campuses: Nandita Narain, President Delhi University Teachers' Association (DUTA)
* Anyone sitting at constitutional position should have a control at their tongue: Rajeev Tyagi, Congress
* It is true that Gurmehar Kaur is being brainwashed: Nupur Sharma, BJP
* People condemning Gurmehar Kaur also have freedom of speech: Nupur Sharma, BJP
* I am not a ABVP spokesperson, I can present BJP's point of view: Sambit Patra, BJP
* If they pelt stones in Jammu and Kashmir, they (opposition) say it is their right to democracy: Sambit Patra, BJP
* Our party does not promote violence, we operate on Gandhian philosophy: Sambit Patra, BJP
* This fight is for freedom of expression: Vivek Ratna, Delhi University professor
* You can not take the criticism of the govt as criticism of state: Vivek Ratna, Delhi University professor
* ABVP has a record of resorting to violence in campuses: Walli Ullah Kadri, AISF
* ABVP wants to fight other ideologies with violence, not with idea: Walli Ullah Kadri, AISF
* This country will throw out Rahul Gandhi: Sambit Patra, BJP
* Our leaders have give respect to Gurmehar Kaur: Sambit Patra, BJP
* BJP's development is limited to 'shamshan' and 'kabristan': Amrita Dhawan, NSUI
* They (BJP) are talking about nation, they don't even understand democracy: Vivek Ratna, Delhi University professor