PM Modi third most followed world leader on Twitter after Pope, Trump: StudyPope Francis tops the list of most followed world leaders on Twitter with US Prersident Donald Trump at the second position.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is the third most followed world leader on micro-blogging site Twiiter, according to Burson Marsteller’s Twiplomacy study 2017.
According to this study, Pope Francis tops the list of most followed world leaders on Twitter with US Prersident Donald Trump at the second position.
Pope Francis (@Pontifex) is followed on Twitter by more than 33.7 million people while Donald Trump (@RealDonaldTrump) is followed by more than 33.1 million people.
With more than 30.05 million followers on his personal account (@NarendraModi), PM Modi is at the third position in the list.
Interestingly, PM Modi’s institutional account (@PMOIndia) is at the fourth place with more than 18 million followers.
The Twiplomacy study pointed out that US President Barack Obama was the uncontested political leader in this space until his departure from the White House.
After Obama’s departure, Pope Francis took over as the most followed world leader.
The study also revealed that Donald Trump more than tripled the number of followers during the 2016 US presidential campaign.
Let’s take a look at the top 10 most followed world leaders on Twitter (according to Twiplomacy study 2017) :
1. Pope Francis (@Pontifex) – more than 33.7 million followers
2. Donald Trump (@RealDonaldTrump) – more than 30.1 million followers
3. Narendra Modi (@NarendraModi) – more than 33.05 million followers
4. Prime Minister, India (@PMOIndia) – more than 18 million followers
5. President, US (@POTUS) – more than 17.7 million followers
6. The White House, US (@WhiteHouse) – more than 14.4 million followers
7. Recep Tayyip Erdogan (@RT_Erdogan) – more than 10.2 million followers
8. Sushma swaraj, India (@SushmaSwaraj) – more than 8 million followers
9. HH Sheikh Mohammed, UAE (@HHShkMohd) – more than 7.9 million followers
10.Joko Widodo, Indonesia (@Jokowi) – more than 7.4 million followers
Twiplomacy is the leading global study of world leaders on Twitter, which aims to identify the extent to which world leaders use Twitter and how they connect on the social network.