DRS row: No action against Virat Kohli and Steve Smith, says ICC
The International Cricket Council (ICC) on Wednesday announced that it will take no action against Steve Smith and Virat Kohli over the ongoing DRS controversy.
“The ICC has confirmed that no charges have been laid against any player under the ICC Code of Conduct following the second Test match between India and Australia in Bengaluru," the ICC said in a statement.
It added, “Specifically in relation to Steve Smith and Virat Kohli, the ICC has considered both incidents in the context of this match and concluded it will be taking no further action against either player."
As the controversy turned into a full blown verbal war between the two cricket boards, the BCCI, through a media release earlier in the day, had requested the ICC to take note of Australian skipper Smith's "brain fade" in seeking dressing room's advice for a DRS referral in the second Test.
ICC Chief Executive David Richardson said: "We have just witnessed a magnificent game of Test cricket where players from both teams gave their all and emotions were running high during and after the match."
"We would encourage both teams to focus their energies on the third Test in Ranchi next week. Ahead of that, the match referee will bring both Captains together to remind them of their responsibilities to the game," he added.
The ICC could have looked into the matter had Indian team laud any official charge against Steve Smith.
"During the infamous Trent Bridge spat between Ravindra Jadeja and Jimmy Anderson, it was Indian manager Sunil Dev who, on behalf of BCCI, had filed an official complaint laying specific charges. That's what needs to be done in this case. The BCCI had filed a complaint then," a top BCCI source involved in drafting of complaint during the 2014 series said on conditions of anonymity.
(With inputs from PTI)