WTA Rankings: Maria Sharapova moves up by 29 spots, Simona Halep continues to leadThe Russian tennis ace defeated Belarusian teenager Aryna Sabalenka 7-5, 7-6 (8) on Sunday to move from 86th to 57th in the latest WTA rankings.
Russian tennis star Maria Sharapova has soared up in the latest WTA Rankings. Post her first title win in Tianjin since returning from a doping ban, Sharapova has moved from 86 to 57, thus making a significant hike of 29 places. She defeated Belarusian teenager Aryna Sabalenka in straight sets 7-5, 7-6 (8) on Sunday.
However, there are no changes in the Top 10, although there is a bit of a shuffle in the Top 20, with Angelique Kerber, CoCo Vandeweghe and Sloane Stephens all moving up one place, and Agnieszka Radwanska and Elena Vesnina dropping one.
Romanian Simona Halep continued to lead the Women's Tennis Association (WTA) rankings released on Monday. Halep is followed by Wimbledon champion Garbine Muguruza and Karolina Pliskova.
The 26-year-old Halep reached the number one for the first time in her career last week to put an end to the four-week reign of Spaniard Garbine Muguruza, who holds the second spot.
Veteran tennis star Venus Williams is at the fifth position, followed by Danish Caroline Wozniacki.
The current WTA rankings and point scores are as follows:
1. Simona Halep (Romania) 6,175 points
2. Garbiñe Muguruza (Spain) 6,135
3. Karolina Pliskova (Czech Republic) 5,605
4. Elina Svitolina (Ukraine) 5,465
5. Venus Williams (United States) 4,642
6. Caroline Wozniacki (Denmark) 4,640
7. Jelena Ostapenko (Latvia) 4,510
8. Svetlana Kuznetsova (Russia) 3,950
9. Caroline Garcia (France) 3,860
10. Johanna Konta (Britain) 3,795.
(With Agency Inputs)